Summer Veggie Salad with Chicken and Cherries
In summer, I absolutely love eating fresh salads with lots of fruit and veggies on them. I could eat salads for lunch and dinner, but I always prefer to make some modifications to give the dinner version a bit more of a hearty substance.
This salad is a spin on one of my favorite clean eating chefs’, Tosca Reno, salads with the addition of chicken and some more greens that will give it that heartier feel while still keeping it super light and healthy. You could also remove the chicken and have just the veggie salad for a light lunch. The cherries are a nice kick in either a lunch or dinner version; I am taking advantage of the cherries being in season right now and trying to use them any way I can!
Summer Veggie Salad with Chicken & Cherries
Makes 2 servings. Prep/Cook time: Approx. 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp walnut pieces
- 1 tsp pepita seeds
- 1/2 small bulb fennel
- 2 cups spinach (or mixed greens)
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 small carrot, peeled or 1/2 cup baby carrots,chopped
- 1 small raw beet, peeled
- 2 pieces of celery
- 1/3 cup fresh pitted and halved cherries
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp whole grain mustard
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1. Bake chicken as desired, slice and set aside.
2. Toast walnuts and pepita seeds in oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
3. Using grater or chefs knife, thinly slice fennel, carrots and beets (keep beets separate so they don’t discolor other ingredients!)
4. Chop celery and cherries and set aside as well.
5. In another bowl, mix together dressing: whisk together vinegar, mustard, sea salt, pepper and olive oil. Let sit out to enhance flavors while finishing the rest of the salad.
6. On separate serving plates, separate out a cup each of spinach and half cup each of arugula. On top place sliced beets, carrots and fennel. Layer on sliced celery and cherries and drizzle with dressing. Place approx. 1/2 of each chicken breast (2-3 oz) on top of each salad. Enjoy!
Total Calories: 184 calories
Carbs: 11g, Protein: 22g, Fat: 6g, Sodium: 161mg, Fiber: 2gTo being fit and fashionable,